This week, we are celebrating World Environment Day, on June 5th. In honor of this day, the United Nations Organization created the #BeatAirPollution with the intent to bring awareness of this not so new issue in the world. According to them, “nine out of ten people breathe polluted air”, which means that the situation is getting worse and worse. However, there are many things that we can do to help decrease pollution from the air we breathe.
Here are some examples:
- Use public transport or car sharing, cycle or walk
- Switch to a hybrid or electric vehicle and request electric taxis
- Turn off the car engine when stationary
- Reduce your consumption of meat and dairy to help cut methane emissions
- Compost organic food items and recycle non-organic trash
- Switch to high-efficiency home heating systems and equipment
- Save energy: turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- Choose non-toxic paints and furnishings
Along with the #BeatAirPollution, the United Nation challenged us to wear masks to show our governors that we want, and we need to breathe a clean air. To participate in the challenge, here’s what you must do:
- Take a photo or video of yourself wearing a mask to post on social media. Don’t have a mask?
- Get creative and make your own!
- In your post share the action you’ll take to reduce air pollution
- Tag 3 people/organizations/ companies to challenge them to do the same.
- Use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #BeatAirPollution in your social media posts and don’t forget to tag @UNEnvironment.
The Ecobrite team will join millions of people in this cause, to #beatairpollution and bring forth our mission of “building a brighter, safer and more sustainable world for all we serve”.